KGOU-FM, including its repeater and translator signals, licensed to and operated by the University of Oklahoma ("KGOU," "we" or "us") owns, operates, or provides access to KGOU.org and KGOU's email newsletters, and other sites, digital platforms and interactive services ("Services"). This Privacy Notice for EU Residents ("Notice") applies only to the Services and does not govern the separate websites, applications, newsletters, platforms and services of any third parties that may link to or be linked to from KGOU.org. This Privacy Notice governs our privacy practices in handling the information we collect about individuals in the EU who access our website ("you" or "your"). KGOU processes personal data under this Privacy Notice as a data controller. This Notice may be changed if there is a change in the way KGOU processes personal data or if there is a change in applicable law. We will notify users of changes that are deemed material under applicable law by updating the date of this Notice and providing other information as required.
'Personal data' means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
Categories of Data Obtained Directly from You
KGOU obtains personal data from you including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, and payment card information. We collect this information when you:
- Subscribe to any KGOU newsletter.
- Email, text or otherwise share a story from any of the Services.
- Contact us for information or ask a question.
- Make a donation to KGOU or express interest in or request information about making donations.
- Post, upload, or otherwise submit a comment, story idea, essay, photo, or other content ("User Materials") to KGOU.
- Register for a KGOU event or any contest we sponsor.
- Apply for a job, internship or fellowship at KGOU
- Otherwise volunteer information to us or respond to a request for information through any of our Services.
- If you choose to participate in a survey, we may ask you to provide your date of birth, gender, education level, information about your employment, income level and other information.
Information Obtained Automatically Through Technology
You can find our Statement Regarding Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies here.
Depending on which Services you use and how you access them, the information collected automatically through technology, such as access logs, cookies, pixels and other tracking technologies, may include:
- Internet Protocol Address (IP address)
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider
- The website, application, platform or service you visited before and after visiting our Services.
- Information about your computer or mobile device, and their browser, operating system, settings and software.
- Unique device identifiers on your mobile device, including as applicable the Apple or Google advertising identifiers.
- Your approximate geographic location (derived from requested header information, such as your IP address) .
- The dates, times, duration and frequency of your interactions with our Services, search terms, the media files you download, interact with or share, favorites you select, and your navigation path through our Services.
- Listening data, including information about your interactions with KGOU podcasts and other media files, such as time and date stamps for when a file is downloaded and when playback of a particular segment or sponsorship message starts, stops, is skipped or paused.
- Information about your interactions with our email messages.
- Any errors you encountered during your use of the Services.
Information Not Obtained Directly From You
Purposes for Processing of Personal Data
KGOU processes your data in order to:
- Manage, administer, promote, analyze and improve the Services and our communications, including measuring and analyzing user traffic and usage patterns.
- Respond to your questions or messages and fulfill your requests for services.
- Customize the content you see and hear on our Services, including offering content from NPR and NPR Member stations associated with your account or located near you and offering other content that may be of interest to you.
- Customize the sponsorship messages you see and hear on our Services and on third-party services you may use or visit.
- Publish, broadcast or otherwise use User Materials.
- Offer you access to KGOU events.
- Process applications for jobs, internships, fellowships and other positions at KGOU.
- Manage contests, contact you for an online survey, or for editorial purposes.
- Recognize you as a returning user as you access our Services using different computers, devices and browsers and to save and "remember" your registration information, settings and preferences for later visits.
- Send you email newsletters and marketing, fundraising, membership and other communications from KGOU.
- To understand whether and when you read our email messages and click on links in those messages.
- Analyze personal preferences or interests to provide personalized content and messages from KGOU and KGOU sponsors and to control the sequence and frequency of those messages.
- Generate aggregate or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual or the devices you use to access our Services, and use and share that information for KGOU's purposes.
- We also may use the information collected from you in other ways, and for other purposes, that are described to you at the point of collection or for which we otherwise have obtained your consent.
Sharing Your Personal Data
KGOU may share your personal data with the following categories of recipients:
- The University of Oklahoma or its Foundation.
- NPR, for their internal purposes, and for other purposes disclosed at the point of collection or for which we otherwise have obtained your consent.
- KGOU's authorized service providers to provide services on our behalf.
- KGOU's authorized third-party applications to provide certain Services to you on the third-party applications.
- KGOU's analytics partners such as Google Universal Analytics, Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, DoubleClick for Publishers and others.
- With public authorities when required by law, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
- With persons we contact on your behalf when you choose to email, text, or otherwise share a story or other content through the Services.
- With social networking services, if you choose to share stories or other content with your friends and followers on the social networking service.
- With other parties if the information is anonymous and aggregate.
- With other parties if we have disclosed such sharing to you at the time of collection of the information or if we otherwise have your consent.
Lawful Basis for the Processing of Personal Data
KGOU is required to demonstrate a lawful basis for the processing of personal data. KGOU relies on legitimate interest to process data for the following purposes:
- Data analytics
- Managing user accounts
- Operating, modifying and improving the Services
- Identifying usage trends
- Customizing content and user experience
- Web hosting
- Direct marketing
- Fraud prevention
- Network and information systems security
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and sponsorship messaging
- To serve promotional and sponsorship messages based on user behavior and preferences.
- Responding to user questions and requests for information
Consent: We process personal data based on your consent to send personalized messages from KGOU and KGOU's sponsors (interest based messages or sponsorship), to collect precise location information and to send promotional emails. Please note that all processing of your personal data will cease once you have withdrawn consent but this will not affect any personal data that has already been processed.
Your personal data is retained no longer than is reasonably necessary to perform the processing described in this Notice and in case of any legal claims or complaints, or as required by law.
Subject to exemptions under applicable law (which may include, depending on the circumstances, U.S. law protecting the rights to free speech and free press or EU law protecting the rights to freedom of expression or information, including processing for journalistic purposes), you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- To request a copy of your personal data which KGOU holds;
- To request that KGOU provide you access to and/or rectify personal data that is inaccurate or out of date;
- To request erasure of your personal data where it is no longer necessary for KGOU to retain it;
- If you have consented to processing, the right to withdraw consent at any time;
- To request that the data controller provide you with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, where applicable. This right of portability only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract and if KGOU processes the data by automated means;
- To request a restriction on further processing where applicable;
- The right to object to processing if the processing is based on legitimate interest, is for direct marketing, or is for scientific/historical research and statistics;
- To lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
You may exercise these rights by contacting KGOU at firstname.lastname@example.org, providing the email address you used to register with KGOU, and stating your specific request in writing. KGOU reserves the right to verify your identity and confirm your right to the information. The following options are also available:
- For information on opt-out tools for sponsorship messages click here.
- To withdraw consent for collection of precise device location, you may access the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or the settings of the NPR mobile application.
- To cancel your KGOU account, or correct or update your registration information, you may sign in to your account or contact us.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, click here for the Google Universal Analytics opt-out browser add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To learn more about how Google uses data, visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Transfer of Data Abroad
Because KGOU operates the Services from the US, your personal data may be transferred to the US and/or to countries or territories outside the EEA or Switzerland not recognized by the European Commission as ensuring an adequate level of protection pursuant to the GDPR. Where required, data transfers will be made subject to the terms of the applicable EU Standard Contractual Clauses or with your consent. KGOU will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice in respect of such transfer.
KGOU employs physical, technical and organizational safeguards to ensure an appropriate level of security for personal data, taking into account the state of the art, the costs of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purposes of processing as well as the risk of varying likelihood and security for the rights and freedoms of natural persons,
Automated Decision Making and Analysis
KGOU and its data analytics and sponsorship vendors analyze user interactions with the Services to deliver content to users and to serve non-personalized sponsorship messages. This includes tracking user history with respect to listening data, websites visited, Member station chosen, and search terms in order to derive a user's interests and preferences. The consequences of such processing for the data subject are that the data subject receives content that may be of interest to him or her, as well as email messages from KGOU that are geared towards the interests and preferences of the data subject.
You must be at least 18 years of age to submit any User Materials or Personal Data on or through the Services, create a public profile, or participate in any online contests. If your child is under age 16 and has provided personal data to the Services, please contact us at email@example.com for deletion of the data.