KGOU currently has one full-time professional staff opening and one part-time employment opportunity for students:
Title: KGOU Reporter/Producer
Reports to: Managing Editor
KGOU Radio, Norman, Oklahoma
KGOU is seeking a motivated and creative Reporter/Producer to produce spot news, original features, ongoing series, special projects, podcasts, and digital and social media posts consistent with our public service journalism mission. KGOU is an NPR member station that has received five regional Edward R. Murrow Awards and ten Oklahoma Associated Press Broadcasters awards for Outstanding Radio News Operation.
We expect our reporters to have sharp news instincts, inquisitive minds and creative storytelling skills. The ideal candidate must possess strong organizational, time management and critical thinking skills and be able to conceive and produce broadcast, digital and social media content that is informative and engaging.
We want a journalist who can produce interesting human interest features, take a people-centered approach to reporting on issues that affect our culturally diverse audience (including sovereign Native American nations) and who can be comfortable producing content on politics, government, and public policy. The successful candidate may also participate in community engagement events and serve as a show host from time to time.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science or other appropriate field;
- At least one year of journalism experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Excellent audio production skills and experience with digital and long-form storytelling, audio and video content gathering, photography and social media;
- Strong writing and editing skills and knowledge of AP style;
- Proven record of punctuality, reliability and ability to produce quality work on deadline;
- Effective time management, critical thinking, teamwork and interpersonal communication skills.
This is a full-time position with regular hours expected to be Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Occasional after-hours and weekend work should be expected. Must be able to travel and walk long distances while carrying equipment weighing up to 20 pounds. Salary is commensurate with experience, with University of Oklahoma benefits. The position is open until filled.
The application is made online at https://jobs.ou.edu – search for Requisition 212096. KGOU Radio at The University of Oklahoma is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KGOU reaches more than one million people in Oklahoma, including the Oklahoma City metro area which is ranked #43 in the 2021 Nielsen DMA Rankings. KGOU’s studios are located at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.
Title: Student Host/Content Creator (part-time) - Fall 2021
Reports to: General Manager
KGOU Radio, Norman, Oklahoma
KGOU public radio is looking for a Student Host/Content Creator to help us inform our diverse audience and produce engaging stories about the people who live here. KGOU has a strong tradition of local, state and regional news coverage with an emphasis on compelling storytelling. This is a unique opportunity to gain practical, real-world announcing, reporting and producing experience at the University of Oklahoma’s award-winning NPR member station.
KGOU seeks a talented and dedicated student with an insatiable curiosity, a keen ability to identify and communicate meaningful stories, a warm, conversational delivery and strong audio production skills. Responsibilities include writing and announcing news, audio production, posting stories for web, producing community events calendar announcements and other operational duties as needed.
- Proficiency with Associated Press (AP) writing style.
- Proficiency with audio or video editing and production software (Adobe Audition or comparable).
- Proficiency in on-air announcing, reporting or audio/video production.
- Ability to work independently, be detail-oriented, reliable and responsible, practice effective time management and perform well under deadline pressure.
- Experience creating digital news content for a blog, website or social media.
- Exhibit critical thinking skills and editorial judgment.
- Regular consumer of news and public affairs reporting, including current events in Oklahoma.
Must be enrolled as a student at the University of Oklahoma. This position offers up to 25 hours of paid work time per week, primarily occurring weekdays either 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Days/shifts are flexible. This position is temporary, non-exempt with hourly rate of $11.00 per hour. The anticipated start date is August 16, 2021.
The application is made online at https://jobs.ou.edu – search for Requisition 211470. KGOU Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. KGOU’s broadcasts reach more than one million people in Oklahoma. We also deliver content on our news-forward website, social media, podcasts, mobile apps and smart speakers.
Thank you for your interest. KGOU supports equal employment opportunities and works against discrimination in employment. KGOU operates within the principles outlined in the University of Oklahoma’s Office of Equal Opportunity.
KGOU Radio at The University of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.