KGOU cares about protecting the privacy of children. If you are a parent or guardian, we encourage you to become involved in your children's online experience, and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones. If you are under 13, please do not register for our Services or provide us with any contact or other information, including your name, postal address or email address. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you must obtain permission from your parent or guardian before registering for our Services or otherwise sending any contact or other information to KGOU.
Information Collected Through Our Services
Information You Provide Directly Through Our Services
We and service providers working on our behalf will collect any information that you choose to provide directly through our Services, including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, password, age, payment card information, country of residence, communications and content preferences. For example, such information may be collected when you:
- Register for any KGOU email newsletter.
- Email, text or otherwise share a story from any of our Services.
- Contact us for information or to ask a question.
- Donate to KGOU.
- Post, upload, or otherwise submit to KGOU a comment, story idea, essay, photo, or other content or user-generated material ("User Materials").
- Register for an event or any contest we sponsor.
- Apply for a job, internship or fellowship at KGOU.
- If you choose to participate in a survey, we may ask you to provide your date of birth, gender, education level, information about your employment, income level and other information.
We also may ask you to provide other information about yourself for various other purposes that we specify or make apparent at the time of collection.
Information Automatically Collected Through Technology
We and service providers working on our behalf automatically collect certain information about your computer or device and your interactions with our Services through access logs, cookies, pixel tags and other tracking technologies. Depending on which Services you use and how you access them, the information collected automatically may include:
- The Internet Protocol address (IP address) of the computer or device you used to access our Services or play podcasts or other media content downloaded through our Services.
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider.
- The website, application, platform or service you visited before and after visiting our Service.
- Search terms you enter using our Services or on a referring website.
- Your approximate geographic location information (derived from request header information, such as your IP address) and/or more precise information about the specific location of your device if you have given KGOU or NPR explicit consent to receive this information for an NPR application in which KGOU participates on your mobile device.
- The make, model, carrier and unique device identifier for your mobile device, the unique advertising identifier (for example, the Apple IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers) or Google Advertising ID) that allows mobile applications running on your mobile device to gather data for purposes of serving targeted advertising or personalized or "interest-based" sponsorship credits, and other information about your computer or mobile device and its browser, operating system, settings and software.
- Automobile make (for certain connected car platforms).
- The dates, times, duration, and frequency of your interactions with our Services.
- Your navigation path through our Services, including any "favorites" you select, and patterns in the paths you take.
- A list of files you download, listen to, view, email, text or otherwise share and other content preferences.
- The amount of time spent listening to or viewing media files or pages.
- Listening data collected both when you download and listen to podcasts or other media files. Listening data includes descriptions of the title, episodes, segments and sponsorship credits included in a podcast or other media file, time and date stamps for download and playback events (for example, when a file is downloaded and when playback of a particular segment or sponsorship credit starts, stops, is skipped or is paused), the mobile advertising identifier for your device (for example, the Apple IDFA or Google Advertising ID), session IDs and information about the device or platform used to download or play a particular file.
- Information about your interactions with our email messages, such as links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions, and information about the computer or device you use to read emails.
- Any errors you encountered during your use of our Services.
Analytics Data Collection
How We Use the Information We Collect
We and our service providers collect and use information to provide you with a customized interactive experience and to make our Services more valuable to you. We also may use the information we collect for fundraising purposes to support our public media mission. KGOU and our service providers also may use the information collected through our Services:
- To manage, administer and improve our Services.
- To respond to your questions or messages.
- To provide you with personalized features and content, and other content that may be of interest to you.
- To fulfill your requests for information.
- To offer you access to KGOU events.
- To process applications for jobs, internships and fellowships at KGOU.
- To process applications for volunteers.
- To manage contests you enter.
- To contact you for an online survey, or for other editorial purposes.
- To recognize you as the same user when you access our Services using different computers, devices and browsers.
- To save and "remember" your registration information, settings and preferences so you do not have to re-enter this information each time you visit.
- With your consent where required by applicable law, to send you KGOU email newsletters and other communications, including marketing, fundraising, membership and other messages.
- To understand whether and when you read our email messages and click on links in those messages.
- To control the sequence and frequency of sponsorship credits you hear and see while using our Services and tailor the content of those messages to your perceived interests.
- To conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting.
- To help us measure and analyze user traffic and usage patterns and improve the quality and effectiveness of our content, features, sponsorship credits, and other communications.
- To generate aggregate or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual or the devices you use to access our Services, and use and share that information for KGOU's purposes.
- In other ways and for other purposes that are described to you at the time we collect the information or for which we otherwise have your consent.
How We Disclose Information
KGOU is committed to maintaining your trust. We want you to understand when and with whom we may share information about you that is collected through our Services.
Authorized service providers. We may share any information we collect with service providers who provide us with specialized services or otherwise help us operate our Services including, without limitation, service providers that provide customer support, mobile applications, email deployment, account sign-in services, payment processing, order fulfillment, analytics, marketing, suppression list management, contest management and data processing services.
Business transfers. We may share any collected information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a KGOU Service or broadcast signal, a merger, a consolidation, an asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Legal requirements. We may disclose any collected information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
With your consent. We may share any collected information when you expressly or implicitly consent to such disclosure. For example, if you use our Services to email or text a story to a friend, we would disclose your name to that friend together with the content you directed us to send.
Wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers. Wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers also may collect contact and other information and precise location data from our mobile services users through processes we do not control. You should check the privacy policies of your wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers for additional information.
Podcast distributors. We may share with third-party distributors listening and other data that does not identify you that we collect through your interaction with our podcasts and other media files.
URL shorteners. KGOU uses services such as Bitly and others, to create shortened uniform resource locators ("URLs" – the "addresses" of individual web pages) for our content so that it can be shared easily, particularly through social media. Bitly and other similar services may collect information as our shortened URLs are shared and clicked on, including IP addresses, general location information, the time and day each shortened URL is accessed, and the social media or other channels through which our content is shared. If you have established a separate account with Bitly or a similar service, it may associate the foregoing information with personal information it has stored in your personal account in accordance with its own privacy policies
Aggregated and anonymous information. Subject to applicable law and your opt-out choices described below, and as we deem appropriate, we may share with third parties or allow them to collect directly any aggregated or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual. Such information may be used and combined with other information collected by the receiving parties pursuant to their own respective privacy policies, which we don't control. For example, we may share or authorize the collection of such information by service providers that help us analyze and improve our Services, provide us and other digital media organizations with ratings and ranking data, help us to create personalized content, or tailor sponsorship credits to your interests. We may also share or authorize the collection of such information by sponsors or their agencies to help them measure the impact of their sponsorship campaigns.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Data of Donors/Subscribers
KGOU does not sell, trade, or give its mailing, email, social media, text messaging or phone lists to any outside organization or for any purpose except to further the mission of KGOU. KGOU does not allow its lists, databases or contacts (including mail, email, social media, phone, text messaging, etc.) to be distributed or used for sales, promotion, trade or in any fashion not directly related to the activities of KGOU and controlled in accordance with its policies, procedures and legal requirements. Although KGOU may receive requests for list-related information or use thereof, KGOU has never participated in any arrangement that might compromise the security of its database information, allow use of its lists and distribution channels for commercial gain, violate the privacy of those persons on the lists, or subject KGOU to legal liability or ethical violation, nor does it intend to do so. Moreover, KGOU will not use its lists, databases, contacts or distribution channels in a manner that creates an actual, potential or perceived conflict of interest.
You have the following choices to update, correct and limit the collection and use of information gathered through our Services.
Registration information. Contact us to correct or update any registration information you provided to us, opt out of future email newsletters from us, or cancel your KGOU donor portal (Member Connect) account, KGOU newsletter subscription or other KGOU registrations. For your protection, we may only act on requests with respect to the registration data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may ask you to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a correction, update or cancellation.
Cookies. You have the option to set your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, notify you when a cookie is set, or delete cookies. Each browser is different, so select the "Help" menu in your browser for instructions on how to use the relevant tools and settings. Note that if you disable or delete cookies, you may lose access to certain features of our Services.
Interest-based messages. To opt out of receiving personalized or "interest-based" online sponsorship credits from our service providers and other participating companies, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices. For information about controlling the collection of cross-app data from your mobile device for personalized or "interest-based" advertising or sponsorship credit purposes, visit http://youradchoices.com/appchoices. You also may adjust the settings on your device. For iOS mobile devices, go to "Settings" from your device's home screen, scroll down to "Privacy", select "Advertising", and turn on "Limit Ad Tracking." For Android mobile devices, go to "Google Settings" on your device, select "Ads"; and check the box labeled "Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads" or "Opt Out of Ads Personalization." (These device settings options may change in the future or otherwise may differ for certain devices; consult your device manufacturer's support literature for the most current information).
Note that if you opt out, you may still receive the same number of sponsorship credits as before but they may not be as relevant to your interests. Opting out of third-party interest-based sponsorship credits is a cookie-based process and will only affect the specific computer, device, and browser on which your opt-out choice is applied. If you subsequently delete your browser cookies, you will need to opt out again. For more information about opting out of interest-based messages, visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Precise location information. If you consent to our collection of your precise device location through a mobile application in which KGOU participates, you can withdraw your consent at any time and prevent the further collection of your precise location by accessing the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or the settings of the mobile application.
Do Not Track
Links to and from Other Sites and Services
Our Services contain links to other sites, applications, platforms and services operated by third parties whose privacy policies we don't control and may differ significantly from ours. For instance, clicking or tapping on a sponsorship credit or some third-party logos on our Services will take you to an entirely different site or service that may collect, use and share information in ways that KGOU would not. You also may access KGOU content and our Services from a third-party site or service that may collect, use and share information in ways that KGOU would not. KGOU is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of these third-party services and we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the privacy policies of any such sites or services you visit or access.
Social Networking Services Sign-in and Sharing Tools
Users Outside the U.S.