Blackwell Gas Leak Sends 38 Students And Faculty To Hospital
Authorities in Blackwell say a gas leak in a school gymnasium has sent 35 students and three faculty members to the hospital.
Officials say the leak occurred in the high school practice gymnasium in the Kay County community about 9 a.m. as the middle school boys basketball team and varsity cheer squad were practicing. Some students began to feel sick and a couple of students passed out in the shower area.
The students and faculty members were taken to Blackwell Regional Hospital and administered oxygen. All are expected to recover.
Workers were at the scene Monday to repair the leak and the gymnasium was closed. Officials say the gymnasium is isolated from other school buildings and classes were being conducted as usual.
KGOU relies on voluntary contributions from readers and listeners to further its mission of public service to Oklahoma and beyond. To contribute to our efforts, make your donation online, or contact our Membership department.